Wednesday, September 17, 2014

[Week 5] Storytelling - What Happened in the Well

Author's Note: I had trouble getting inspiration from the Turkish Tales unit, so I decided to try to rewrite a bit of The Imp of the Well from the wife's perspective. For those of you who haven't read it, the story begins with a man being followed by his wife after he tries to hide some money from her to buy himself a rope. The wife is unhappy and follows after and ends up falling into a well. The man tries to save her by dropping a rope down but he ends up pulling up the imp instead. 

(Illustration by Willy Pogany)

                A rope? A rope?! All of this happened because he wanted to buy a stupid rope?! I’m sitting at the bottom of a well, arguing with an imp, because my good-for-nothing husband was hiding money from me to buy a rope. Thankfully the imp keeps this place stocked like a normal home. There’s a kitchen of sorts with enough produce and salt to make a decent meal. A little bed made out of straw, and a shelf full of junk displayed like knick-knacks. How he got these things, I don’t know. Seeing as how I managed to trip into this well, I wouldn’t be surprised if people’s possessions fall in here all the time.
                You may be wondering why I’m arguing with an imp. Well, I did happen to land on him when I fell into the well. He’s fine, though, I barely hit him. Just crushed him a little bit. With my entire body. So he’s a little bit upset about that. But that wasn’t even my fault, it was my idiot husband’s fault. I also told him I’d cook up the veggies he’s been collecting down here for a nice dinner. He seemed appeased until he actually ate my delicious masterpiece of a soup. Complained that it’s too salty. Rude little shriveled up creature. We’ll see if I use any salt next time. He’s just like that husband of mine. Who, by the way, has yet to show that he even cares that his lovely wife is stuck at the bottom of a well with a terrible, hideous beast.
                Oh! A rope fell right before my very eyes from the opening of the well. I could faintly hear my husband shouting for me to grab hold of the rope. He didn’t forget me! He’s not entirely useless, I suppose! I try reaching for the dangling life-saver, but the imp slaps my hand away.
                “You crushed me, you used all of my food to make a disgusting, salty soup, and you think you deserve this chance at freedom?! I don’t think so. You’re just a miserable old hag, anyway.” The imp screamed at me as he got his grubby little fingers around the rope.
                I grabbed his entire body and threw him to the floor. “That’s my husband up there calling for me, not you! I’m a young, beautiful, talented maiden who doesn’t deserve to be trapped in a dark, dank, hellhole like this!”
                I must say my one and only flaw is my fiery temper. That’s what drew my husband to me in the first place, I think. Nobody can resist such a rebellious, independent woman. I would never even have thought of it as a flaw before, had this very interaction with the imp not taken place. I squeezed my eyes shut and stomped my feet while I ranted and raved at the little thing. When I finally open my eyes and took in my surroundings, all I saw was the faint figure of the imp being pulled up by the rope to freedom. Oops.

Forty-four Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos, with illustrations by Willy Pogany (1913).

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great! So creative and funny. I actually read the original as well and I loved hearing it from the wife's point of view. It gives more detail and description to her evil character. She sounds just as stubborn and mean as in the original, but it was really nice to hear from her. I love the ending too, how funny! I think your story is entertaining and fun to read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, I really enjoyed reading this story! I liked the way you shaped the wife's character through her thoughts and responses. She seems very self-centered and like a woman with some attitude in her. But I really enjoyed reading her thoughts and responses, it really added entertainment to this story!! I also had to google what an imp was because otherwise I was completely clueless! But I like that you used the perspective of a different character in this story, and I think you did a great job retelling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, you did a great job changing the perspective of this story! Whereas the original is relatively objective, the same tale from the wife's point of view adds a bit of humor and a lot of sass. I liked the way you shaped her personality based on her actions. You're a great storyteller; keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lily, I thought you did a great job in retelling this story. I would have loved to read a little of information as to why you chose this story in your authors note and your thoughts of the story as a whole and why you chose to tell it from the wife’s perspective. I think you did a great job and it was definitely a humorous read. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not read the original story but I thought you did a fantastic job and the themes you presented were very valid. There is something attractive about a fiery woman who knows what she wants. However, it is common to struggle with temper and to be aware of the consequences of your actions. I think it is definitely important to be self-aware.

    ReplyDelete