Wednesday, September 3, 2014

[Week 3] Storytelling - Sara and Mahaffey

Author’s Note: This story is based off of Arachne and Minerva from the Ovid II. As I’ve been doing all along, I wanted to make the story lightly more realistic. In the original, Arachne refuses to praise Minerva unless she can beat her in a weaving competition. Tragically, Arachne ends up hanging herself and turning into a spider. So instead, there is a competition in my story but the girl who is based off of Arachne (Sara), leaves in a less dark, metaphorical sense. That is, she leaves her class instead of killing herself.

I was inspired to write this about a teacher and a student because I feel like one of the most unfortunate things that can happen to young people is for them to have to deal with a bad teacher. And of course, I picked Japanese because it's my second language! I do want to say, though, that I generally love my teachers! Truly terrible teachers are rather rare in my experience. But I think that in such situations, it’s important to fight for your education.
---
(Photo of Japanese writing system by mkhail on Flickr)

                It was Sara’s first day of college, and of all her classes she looked forward to Japanese the most.  She had studied the language by herself for four years and was excited for the chance to be properly taught and tested. Unfortunately, it was only fifteen minutes into the class and Sara knew she wouldn’t be able to tolerate her teacher.
                Because she studied so hard, Sara managed to test out of the first year of Japanese classes at the university. The second year classes seemed a bit easy, but she wanted to make sure she didn’t miss any important content. The teacher for this second year Japanese class was a woman named Angela Mahaffey, and she was also new to the school. While many of the students were disappointed that they would be learning from a non-Native speaker, Sara was excited to be taught by someone who would be more empathetic to the students since she would know about the difficulties of the language.  This optimism was quickly snuffed when Mahaffey sensei’s(teacher) true nature was revealed.
                “First of all, I expect all of you two obey me one hundred percent.” said the teacher. “There will be times when you have questions. You’ll wonder why some aspect of the language works the way I told you. Well, the key for this class is not to question me. Just know that everything I say is right. If you do question me, I’ll annoyed. And if you annoy me then I’ll kick you out. Simple as that.”
                Sara, who had picked a seat at the front of the class, scoffed loudly. This teacher had to be joking, right? Nobody could possibly be like this, much less a teacher.
                Mahaffey’s head immediately snapped to Sara. “Find something funny, girl?” she asked with a sneer.

                “Before you demand that the class obey you unconditionally, you should prove that you’re really so good at Japanese. If you are, then I promise to do as you’ve said. If not, you should probably rethink your attitude.” Sara replied with unwavering confidence. “As the word suggests, a teacher’s job is to teach. Not to intimidate students into submissiveness. So, go ahead. Let’s see if you speak better Japanese than I do.”
                Mahaffey was not amused. “Really? You think you speak better Japanese than your sensei?” She then began to insult and berate Sara in Japanese. Her accent, while not terrible, was not good enough to set an example for the students. But compared to her use of vocabulary and grammatical structures, her accent was heavenly. Mahaffey stumbled her way through her curses, awkwardly combining the wrong forms until she said something equivalent to, “a cow the mother of you student are being,” rather than the intended insult.
                Sara was appalled but slightly amused. How did this woman get a job teaching Japanese?
                “Well, good. Thank you for telling me not to trust anything you say.” She said with a smile as she packed her bag to leave. “I think people in power need to take more responsibility than they sometimes realize. And you are definitely one of those people.” And with that, Sara left the classroom.

                 It was later discovered on Angela Mahaffey’s Rate My Professor page that she was a notoriously bad teacher. She had jumped around from school to school, filling in positions where Japanese teachers were desperately needed and somehow lying about her skill level. Sara and other students complained to the head of the Japanese department, and Mahaffey was eventually relieved of her position. 

Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by Tony Kline (2000)

5 comments:

  1. Lily, after reading your story, I think it made me a bit more appreciative for the teachers I have had in the past because none have compared to the monstrous teacher described in your story!! I think we all know those kind of people though. The ones who demand something or a certain status and merit that they haven't exactly earned, and unfortunately, most cases people give in to their demands without question. I like that you carried that theme into your story, just like in the original Greek Myth. Overall, you did a great job, and I enjoyed your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you put a very interesting twist on this story! I really like the classroom setting that you chose, and I think you made the story very relatable. I have only had one teacher that kind of acted like that, and she didn't do very well on rate my professor either. I also like that you changed the ending. I personally would not have liked to see Sara hang herself, I just like happy endings. Plus I think getting up and leaving the classroom is a big enough statement.
    I enjoyed reading this story, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, I think you did a great job of making this story more realistic and easier to relate to! I have used Rate My Professor many times to decide whether I should sign up for a particular class based on what they say about the professor. It is such a great resource and has helped me avoid terrible professors like Mahaffey. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lily,
    I do not have any knowledge about Japanese, but I would guess that the insult “a cow the mother of you student are being,” is a potentially real grammatical error that a beginning Japanese student would be likely to make. I would also guess that you know how to form that insult in Japanese in both the incorrect and correct forms. It was a small detail in your story, but I thought it was really clever. Overall, I really liked your story. It is a good example of why employers need to check the references of their potential employees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to see someone act like this to my Japanese teacher! I took Japanese all four years of high school and while my teacher wasn't quite so dictator like, he really wasn't that great of a teacher. Four years in a language, even visiting Japan, and I can hardly remember how to say the days of the week or count past ten. I really like how you are inspired by things from your own life, and I completely agree that bad teachers are the worst of all. I don't understand how someone can go into teaching when they don't even enjoy it! They aren't doing anything but making themselves and every one else around them completely miserable. I will DEFINITELY be back to read more of your stories through the year! I greatly enjoy the realistic twist you put on them!

    ReplyDelete