Thursday, October 2, 2014

[Week 7] Storytelling - Hase-Hime's Letter

Author's Note: This story is based off of the story of Hase-Hime in the Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki) unit. It's about a princess who is abused by her jealous step-mother after her real mother dies. At one point, the step-mother tries to have a servant kill Hase-Hime but instead the servant runs away with her and his wife and lives in the mountains with them until Hase-Hime's father finds her. I decided to write this story from Hase-Hime's perspective at that point in the story because I like to think that she wasn't oblivious enough to not think about these things while away from home. The biggest change is that in the original story, Hase-Hime doesn't actually seem to realize the wine her brother drank was poisoned.

(Japanese mountains from Pixbay)

Dear Father,

                I have no way of having this letter sent to you, but there are some things on my mind that I need to at least get out on paper. Maybe I will give this letter to you when we are reunited. I’m not sure yet.
                Before her death, mother told me to always be an obedient child. She told me to be submissive of my elders and kind to those less fortunate than I, and to always behave. I think that she was very wise to teach me this, and I have tried as hard as possible to follow these rules. But there are some cases in which an elder may not deserve such nice treatment. For example, what if an elderly woman tripped a child for no reason and laughed at him as he cried? Or what if I had an older brother who would always bully me and never let me have peace? In the past I have been a good girl in these kinds of situations. I would keep silent and take whatever was dealt to me. I’m beginning to think that I should stop. Mother wouldn’t have wished for me to be treated badly, right?
                You are a good and kind man, so I don’t think you would allow harm to come to me on purpose. You have shown me nothing but love and I have no reason to distrust you. But I can’t imagine what drew your new wife. Do you not see how cruel she can be? She becomes enraged with jealous at every little accomplishment I make. Remember when my little brother died? I saw the egotistical smirk on her face when she brought the wine into the room, and the panic in her eyes when our cups were switched around. I am very sure that she had poisoned the wine and was trying to kill me that day.
                And now, I am living with step-mother’s servant and his wife in the middle of nowhere. Why? Because he was asked to take me away and kill me because I had behaved “badly.” In truth, I did nothing but succeed and make her jealous. Is that so bad? I hope that I will be able to discuss this with you upon being reunited. I just haven’t had the confidence to do so until now, and I’m not sure I will later.

Love,

Your Daughter Hase-Hime

Japanese Fairy Tales by Yei Theodora Ozaki (1908).

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the title of your blog! In regard to your story, there's so much emotion within the written words of Hase-Hime. I feel that this represents a moment in which she's growing up, because she realizes that societal rules are not without fail. Having read your retelling, I wonder how old Hase-Hime is. In any case, very well-written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was really well written and interesting! I liked how you made Princess Hase-Hime show signs of character growth in the letter; she’s grown up a certain way but now has changed her mindset on life thanks to her experiences. It makes her a likeable character, even within a short story (or letter, in this case). Anyways, I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this story on another person’s storybook project page. I liked both of your versions, but they are so different! In your story, she seems to really notice that this is not what her mother would have wanted for her. I didn’t know that the brother died from the step-mother poisoning him, which is really interesting. I really love the letter format of your story.

    ReplyDelete